Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Great report today!

We went to clinic today for lab work. I was actually excited to travel to Duke today because I knew we would find out how well Cameron bounced back from his chemotherapy. News couldn’t have been better. While Cameron was still considered “neutropenic” (this is when your white count is extremely low) on Friday when we were released from the hospital, he was far from that today. As a matter of fact, his white cell count had risen from 1.3 on Friday to around 15.0 today putting his ANC level way past the requirement for the start of Round 2 of his chemotherapy which by the way is a week from today. UGH! I can’t believe we have already been through the first month of his treatment and in less than a week, we will be checking in for the second round of chemotherapy. Our evenings at home have been interesting since we left the hospital. Ernest and I have become quite the medical caretakers; preparing and administering his medications and TPN through his line each evening. The whole process takes around 2 hours to complete. However, since his counts are up, we can discontinue his nightly thirty minute infusion of GCSF. Cameron is feeling great; he’s such a positive little guy! He ate a few bites of his chicken from Chick-fil-A today and finally got to return to his favorite place…Target.

We are all holding steady; ready for this next round to come and go. Yesterday was such a gift to us. Thankfully, our church has three services so Ernest went to the early service while I took the late. It was so good to be back with my church family. I have to share something one of the sweet “grandma’s” of my church said to me a few months ago. She put her arms around me and said, “Something big will come out of all of this LeAnn because if there is anyone who hates being backed into a corner with no choice out, it’s you. You’ve been forced to fully trust in the Lord because you have no other option.” For those of you who know me best…you are probably giggling at that statement as it is so very true. I thought of that yesterday as one of the youth in our church sang “In Better Hands” by Natalie Grant. Thank God I was forced to give this up to Christ because we are in better hands now…the Lord’s hands. I’ll leave you with the words; they are beautiful!

It's hard to stand on shifting sand, It's hard to shine in the shadows of the night
You can't be free if you don't reach for help, You can't love if you don’t love yourself
There is hope when my faith runs out, Cause I'm in better hands now

It's like the sun is shining when the rain is pouring down
It's like my soul is flying though my feet are on the ground
So take this heart of mine there's no doubt, I'm in better hands now

I am strong all because of you, I stand in awe of every mountain that you move
Oh I am changed, yesterday is gone, I am safe from this moment on
There's no fear when the night comes 'round, I'm in better hands now

It's like the sun is shining when the rain is pouring down
It's like my soul is flying though my feet are on the ground
It’s like the world is silent though I know it isn’t true
It’s like the breath of Jesus is right here in this room

So take this heart of mine there's no doubt, I'm in better hands now

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LeAnn,

This is great news! Tell cutie pie I have some new rocks for him. I will bring them over soon. Call me if you need anything.

Maria

Debbie said...

Hi LeAnn, I just got your site from the Level Grove bulletin. We're praying that all goes well, and we'll continue to keep up with you all. Love and Prayers! The Ward family

Anonymous said...

LeAnn,
I just found your blog and what a great time to find this when there is such wonderful news! Emily and I talk about you often and remember you in our prayers. I told her Amy gave me your site, but I had misplaced it. I will now pass this on to her. Love, Jane

Anonymous said...

LeAnn,
Great news! We continue to remember all of you in our prayers. I appreciate you and Ernest taking the time to keep us up-to-date.
Our love to all of you!!

Deborah & Steve