Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

What A Day!

Cameron woke up this morning thrilled that he had made it through another night without a fever.  By this time last cycle, we were already back at Duke for low blood counts and fever.  We all rejoiced this morning for the wonderful blessing of an extra day at home.  However, it was short lived; minutes before leaving to head to clinic, Cameron began screaming that he had hurt his “tubies” and when I went into the playroom, he had somehow, someway, pulled the stitches on one side of his central line.  I, of course, was scared to death thinking how there could not be a worse time to do such with low blood counts.  I immediately took off to Duke to find out that my stress was unnecessary and the line was fine.  Praise God!  But, his blood counts were extremely low.  So he had to get both a platelet and blood transfusion, making for a LONG day there.  We arrived at 9:45am and left just before 6pm.  UGH!  But at least we got to come home.  We are continuing to pray he remains afebrile; even if the fever does hit though, we are still doing better than last round. 

 

Even when we have a LONG day like today, I continue to be amazed by God’s goodness.  We are so blessed to have the most wonderful people taking care of Cameron.  I can see Christ hand in every aspect of this situation.  Today, as he lay getting his transfusion, I saw one of Cameron’s favorite nurses walk by.  I got her attention to say hello and asked what brought her over to the day hospital.  She had with her a young man who had just graduated from high school and who had just finished his chemotherapy a mere few months ago.  Wow…what a walking testimony of God’s healing powers; a much needed refreshment in the midst of a long day at Duke. 

 

My sweet neighbor across the street gave me a book to read the other day called “The Shack”.  I have to say it is a bit strange in the way it depicts a relationship with Christ but I wanted to post something here that really touched me.  As the main character, after experiencing a tragic event in life, is questioning the Lord as to why He allowed such to happen and the response is this: “You must give up your right to decide what is good and evil on your own terms.  That is a hard pill to swallow; choosing to only live in me (Christ).  To do that you must know me enough to trust me and learn to rest in my inherent goodness.”  I love that!  And it is a hard pill to swallow.  I never imagined being forced to go through a situation such as this but as I have continually begged the Lord to show me His glory, I see it is everywhere I look.  It’s in the doctors, the nurses, my friends and family, a book, and even in a young man who just happened to walk by on a day when I was exhausted.  God is so amazing and He is abundant everywhere; all we have to do is open our eyes and see Him!  Much love to you all!

 

LeAnn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LeAnn, again, you are blessing my heart! Thank you so much for your postings, your insights and a record of your ever-growing walk with Jesus! That book sounds like something we should all read since we, so many times, try to dictate to God what blessing we want and when. If we could learn to trust in the goodness of God and realize that He only does what is best for us, no matter what we think we know. Love and Prayers, Aunt Jan