Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Worst day thus far...

Our Sunday started at 2am with a very sick little boy. He was vomiting and complaining of a severe headache. Being as we have walked this road for close to 4 years now, we knew this was not good and immediately started meds in hopes of alleviating his pain. It was hours before he finally settled and was able to rest. Cameron spent the remainder of Sunday in the bed on heavy pain meds...except for two brief windows where the pain subsided. The first came around lunch where he requested lunch and then a trip to Target and Coldstone. The second came last night where he requested looking at Hot Wheels on Ebay and playing the new Monopoly game we had gotten earlier at Target. Talk about living for every moment.

The good news, we think we have his pain under control. The bad news, he is pretty out of it. We get these sporadic moments with him and then he is back asleep. I asked him the other night if he was scared and without hesitation he shook his head "no" and then said "but mommy I still love you." A friend of mine posted the following to his blog today:

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given to us" - Romans 5:3-5

I wear a charm that says "HOPE" around my neck every day. Many probably think that my "hope" is for Cameron to be cured. Actually my hope is for Christ to accomplish what He has set out to do. I don't know and I will never understand why this task has been given to our family to endure. What I do know is that my son's suffering has given him perseverance and character that is only from our Lord and my prayer is his life will give hope, real hope in Christ Jesus to those who don't know Him.

3 comments:

Debbie Whorley said...

So sorry he and you are suffering so intensely. I love the prayer you are now praying concerning Cameron's life. Continuing to pray and think of you!

Kathy Beckett said...

I am so sad to read of Cam's struggles over the past few days. I am praying for strength for your family as you walk this road with Cameron, asking for God's mercy on you all, and thanking Him for the hope that Cam's life shines so brightly! Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

LeAnn,

I continue to check in on all of you regularly and never fail to leave in tears after reading your blog entries. I hate this valley your walking through and we continue to pray for the peace and strength that can only be found in Him.

Hope is really the only thing left, when everything else makes little or no sense. This is my very favorite quote pertaining to Hope:

"Why does something like this happen? I don’t know. I only know that ultimately, the choice everyone faces is the choice between hope and despair. Jesus says, “Choose hope.” Will you keep going when you don’t know why? When you can’t get any answers that would make the pain go away, will you still say, “My Lord,” even though His ways are not clear to you? Will you keep going with all the grace and grit and faith you can muster and live in hope that one day God will set everything right? Will you trust that God is good?

God wants greatness of soul-people who will endure, wrestle, persevere, refuse to quit, and cling to HIs goodness even when there is much they can’t see clearly." -John Ortberg

Hugs,
Kelly