Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Monday, August 29, 2011

The storms of life...

This past Friday after I got off work, I decided I was going to enjoy the nice weather and go for a run. Running has become such a great stress reliever for me. I'm not great at it but there is something about putting in my earphones and hitting the pavement that just seems to clear my head these days. So off I went. I got about halfway home and thought I heard something that sounded like thunder. I turned around and would you know, the outer bands of Hurricane Irene had come upon Apex in a flash. So I stopped running, let the rains come down and walked home thinking about the storm in my life.

To say our life is a roller coaster is an understatement. Cameron is now off his steroid completely and while many (including EJ and I to be honest) thought Cameron might crash coming off his steroid, he has not. Yes, everyday we have had to deal with a headache in varying magnitude but they are short-lived and the moments in between are moments I never thought I would hear again. He's giggly, talkative, funny and well, he's Cameron. The other night we tucked him into bed and as he snuggled up on his pillow, I looked down and found the most wonderful surprise smiling back at me.

I just love this photo. It's so sweet...and so Cameron. Always smiling, never complaining!

Today was a rough day for him as we spent the entire day at Duke. We went in for a port flush and unfortunately, his port didn't want to cooperate. So after several hours, a dye study, and TPA, we finally got what we went to Duke for...a blood return. Needless to say, he is exhausted.

With Cameron being off his steroid, the next several weeks will be very telling of what his cancer is doing in his little body. EJ and I are anxious about the days ahead. I know people continue to pray diligently for us because I have such a sense of peace; peace that could absolutely not be found in my own strength. Much love to you all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to be in awe of what God is doing in your lives. From what He is teaching all of you, to the sweet moments with Cam, to the peace that surpasses all understanding... Thank you for continuing to share your lives so openly with all of us. Praying these next few weeks will continue to be filled with sweet blessings (how sweet that little hand is!). We continue to pray for you all. Much love, Cyndee & Sean

Anonymous said...

Prayers to you all as you continue this battle. You are an inspiration to many.
Lynda

Kathy Beckett said...

Having you all for friends has really reminded me that there are storms...and there are STORMS! If I was a person who struggled to believe in the existence/power of God, knowing your family & witnessing your lives would absolutely convince me. Praying as always. Love to you all.

Karen Gaster said...

God's power is definitely evident in your family's life. Thanks for honestly sharing with us your struggles and praises. Praying always!

Check out these songs that have encouraged me:
Sometimes He Calms the Storm by Scott Krippayne; Sometimes He Calms Me by Randy Simpson; Who Am I by Casting Crowns.