Wow...I cannot believe it is almost June. Time seems to be passing with incredible speed these days. Perhaps it is because we stay so busy. Cameron continues to feel pretty good and is just enjoying each day. A few months ago, we got him a cell phone (he kept asking for one) and has gotten pretty good with texting. I can't tell you how much it makes my day to be at work...or sometimes just upstairs...and get a text from him saying hello or how much he loves me or sending me a multiple choice question inquiring what time I will be home. And I giggle when I am the last to find out about "dates" he has set up with his "girlfriends" (aka Kristin and Carly) at the the mall. What a wonderful mess he continues to be!!!
Last week was a marathon week for us. I was in New Orleans toward the end of the week for a pediatric brain tumor conference. I left the deep south on Friday heading home excited for all I had learned and even more excited for the opportunity to do something about it. On Saturday, we had a fundraiser for the St. Baldrick's Foundation to raise money for childhood cancer. It was a CRAZY day but an awesome day. Over 80 people, including Connor, showed up to shave their heads for kids battling cancer. At the end of the day, we raised over $70,000!!!!!! A huge part of that came from a team of men at our church, they called themselves the "Saved and Shaved", who raised over $20,000. Beyond these wonderful men, so many in our church joined the cause by baking cookies, helping with the crowd that day, and simply just being there to support us. I am so thankful we have such an amazing church family.
As I looked at the crowd on Saturday who had gathered for Cameron and other like him battling this disease, I couldn't help but feel blessed. Here my best friends were running around like crazy women ensuring that the day was successful, kids were walking through the crowd selling "Cam's cookies" for the cause...not to mention all the bald heads dedicated to do something to help. I stood beside a dear friend of mine who I met several years ago at a St. Baldrick's event whose son had also been affected by cancer. As I have said before, only God could orchestrate friendships in the midst of something as devastating as cancer. It's hard to be sad when I have the best friends in the world surrounding me and the best three boys in the world to share my life with.
1 comment:
It was a blessing to be just a tiny part of the fundraiser for SBF. The day was perfect & the crowd was wonderful. It was great to see Cam surrounded by his family and friends having such a good time. Love to you all!
Post a Comment