Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Wow is all I can say...

We had a BUSY weekend. This past Saturday was the Angels Among Us event at Duke to raise money for the Brain Tumor Center there. I, along with Connor and several others, started the day with a 5K run. As I neared the home stretch, I began to get emotional thinking this might be our last year at Angels with Cameron. But when I neared the finish and I saw him sitting off to the side in his wheelchair with the biggest smile on his face, I couldn't help but grab his chair and with tears flowing, push him across the finish line with me. Later that day, as I looked at this huge crowd in orange who had gathered together for Cameron, I couldn't help but have a thankful heart. God has put so many amazing people in our lives. Even one of the neurosurgeons who was just a young resident when we met him over 3 years ago, brought his wife and new baby to the event and walked with us in honor of Cameron. Only Christ could orchestrate friendships in the midst of such a storm.

Sunday was the Triangle Area Ride for Kids. Almost 500 motorcyclists showed up to ride their bikes in support of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. Cameron did not ride this year but gave the signal for the police escort to lead the pack. Up front were the brain tumor patients in side cars and riding with them was Cameron's oncologist, Dr. G. His patients were so excited to see him there with his motorcycle riding for brain tumor research. I remain in awe of such a wonderful person who was placed here to take such special care of the bravest patients you could ever meet.

Life is so good. God is so good. We have music and laughter and smiles and giggles flowing in our home. Yes, my son is battling a terminal disease but quite honestly, I am so incredibly blessed. Just today I heard something in the playroom and walked in and found Cameron crawling around on the floor, pulling out his toys and making a mess and I just smiled and said "Praise God". While I wish for the ultimate miracle of healing, I'm finally able to see that every day that I am able to wake up and get to kiss the cheeks of my sweet son IS a miracle from my Lord.

2 comments:

judith said...

Every day I look at my "today is the best day" magnet and say a prayer for your awesome family. May you have many more "best days". Your faith is an inspiration to so many.

Chris, Stephanie, Andrew, Alex, Luke said...

Thank you guys for this blog! Many are being blessed by Cameron's bravery and sweet spirit.
The Lord has touched many through his life. The Bakers love Cameron and all the Jacksons and have you in our thoughts and prayers often.