Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thankful?...

So as we were driving home tonight, I was flipping through the stations and suddenly a familiar tune...a little Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl" brought a smile and a tear at the same time. I can still hear Cameron's little voice singing it loudly, I can still see the expression on the music therapist at Duke's face when coming by his room in the midst of chemotherapy, Cameron's asked "you got any Jessie's girl?", and yet it also serves as the painful reminder that I will never hear him sing again. Well, at least not in this lifetime...

Here we are at the close of the Thanksgiving holiday. I've watched my friends make daily posts on facebook about things they are thankful for and truly I am thankful for so much...for EJ, for Connor, for my faith, my friends and so much more. However, verbalizing such is difficult as everything seems to be overshadowed by the tremendous sadness in my soul. The truth is, its been a really tough month with the anniversary of Cameron's passing and the start of the holiday season. Sadly, I guess this time of year will forever be a painful time in our lives. But in the midst of the sadness, I am thankful for traditions. As has been the tradition my whole life, the weekend following Thanksgiving has always been the time to put up the Christmas tree and decorate the house for the holidays. A little bah humbug this year, I forced myself to pull the boxes out of the attic and start the process. I have always loved the holidays and been one to put up Christmas trees all over the house. That was before. But Connor helped me get one tree up and as I began to pull out the ornaments, it was like a walk down memory lane...ornaments from little preschool hands that are now a treasure on my tree...ornaments picked out by little hands that take me back to the day they were purchased and the excitement in his eyes. I still haven't found the strength to hang the stockings...not sure if I ever will. I can't hang three; I can't look at four.

Without question, life hasn't really turned out the way I planned. I never anticipated sitting in the place I am now. But here I am, grieving for one forever gone and filled with anticipation for what the future holds for the other. So with each passing day, I'm trying to be thankful for the things that remain in this life and continuing to put one foot in front of the other. Cancer has robbed me of so much...I simply refuse to let it rob me of what is ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LeAnn,

Thank you for always so candidly sharing exactly what is on your mind and in your heart. When you described your stocking dilemma it struck this mama's heart deeply. I felt like you gave me a tiny glimpse into the daily struggles and pain of losing your son. But you know LeAnn, that even in your brokenness, you are beautiful. You continue to pick up the pieces and do amazing things like toy drives and fundraisers, always spreading awareness. The lyrics from Selah's song Unredeemed just popped into my head...and I will leave you with those.

The cruelest world
The coldest heart
The deepest wound
The endless dark
The lonely ache
The burning tears
The bitter nights
The wasted years

Life breaks and falls apart
But we know these are
Places where grace is soon to be so amazing
It may be unfulfilled
It may be unrestored
But when anything that's shattered is laid before the lord
Just watch and see
It will not be unredeemed

honeyash said...

good words, leann. thanks for the post.