Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Friday, February 8, 2013

D-Day

Well today is D-Day for us...in the childhood cancer community we call that diagnosis day. Today is five years since we found out our little boy had a brain tumor and would have been, should have been, the milestone when we could essentially stop worry about this disease. Instead, here we are, muddling along through each day trying to figure out what our "normal" is now with his vibrant little self missing. I haven't written on his blog in so long because I just don't know what to say. The holidays came and went and while we enjoyed them, it just wasn't the same; I guess it never will be. As the year went from 2012 to 2013, I laid in bed and watched the ball drop and thought "wow, a new year, I can no longer say last year I lost my son." Something about that reality just makes the gap seems that much wider. So today, I write with a very sad heart thinking about the day our lives changed forever. That morning I took little Cam to kindergarten and by the time night fell, we were sitting in the ER at Duke with this awful diagnosis.

Being the bystander of a child fighting cancer, you learn many things about life and living, the strength within, attitude, courage, and thankfulness. He truly is my hero! So despite the constant void, I am determined to live like Cam...like today is the Best Day Ever!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I'm truly just a bystander to your life, but from what little I see and know, your family is doing a good job of honoring Cam's life and trying to take the lessons he taught you and applying them.

With continued prayers...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for continuing to post to this blog. I was very fortunate to have met Cam and your family just a few times (on your visits to Cali). Please know that Cam's smile has never been forgotten, and your postive words are helping so many of us!