Here we are at the end of August and at the beginning of a new chapter in the life of the Jackson's. On Monday, Connor heads to high school. I cannot believe it. We have been through so much with Cameron in the past few years that sometimes I forget that Connor entered this world 8 weeks early at 3 pounds, 9 ounces and now that little preemie is a freshman and heading off to high school. Saying time flies is an understatement. As I sat in the auditorium at the high school tonight, tears came to my eyes; I am so excited for Connor and for the opportunities now at his fingertips and yet my heart desperately misses the one who will never get to walk through the adventure of high school.
I too, have opened up a new chapter of life...I have headed back to school myself. This fall may be an interesting one juggling work, school, home life, a high schooler, and everything in between. And on top of that, one of my friends and I are busy planning a St. Baldrick's event in Apex to raise money for childhood cancer. It's strangely therapeutic for me to continue the fight Cameron could not.
To be honest, the past month has been incredibly hard. We came home from a fabulous trip to Europe, Cameron's birthday was a few weeks later, and since then, a thick layer of sadness has just set in with EJ and I. I am not really sure why, perhaps just the waves of grief. Maybe it is all the kids returning to school. I have tried to incorporate morning runs to clear my head, pray, think which has helped but getting through some days is just a task. So I'm staying busy and continuing to put one foot in front of the other. But even in the midst of the sadness, the Lord continues to send little gifts...an impromptu visit with a special family we met as a result of Cam's battle, new friends entering my life, the little boy with long eyelashes at the beach who wanted to "push the button" in the elevator, a special note from one of Cam's friends...all little gifts to keep my feet moving. He says, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you" and He holds true to His promise...always!
Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.
However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.
However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.
Thursday, August 23, 2012
A New Chapter...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
as always, thanks for sharing. we love you!!
Post a Comment