Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Sorry it has been so long...

I know it has been a long time since I last updated the blog and for those of you who faithfully follow this site, many apologies. The truth is, life has been so good, I just haven't had much to write. Cameron continues to baffle the doctors with how well he is doing and as always, continues to enjoy every single day. He's excited about our upcoming charities we participate in. Next week we are having an ice cream night at Coldstone in Apex to raise money for childhood cancer, he helped me design his team shirt for Angels Among Us, and then the St. Baldrick's shave event occurs toward the end of May. So lots going on with the Jacksons.

I took Cameron to Duke last Friday to have his port flushed. It was a long day as his port wouldn't cooperate but finally, success. It absolutely kills me to see him continue to go through such but he manages to endure whatever comes his way with such courage and strength. But what really broke my heart is what happened when we walked in the door. There was a young family, much like mine, sitting in the lobby area of the Children's Health Center. The little boy was slightly younger than Connor but his bald head told a story I completely understood. And there this little boy sat with the biggest smile on his face and I heard him so vibrantly tell another adult "I'm here for my scans today...an MRI and then a CT and perhaps more depending on the news". I almost couldn't breathe; I wanted to cry. Sometimes I feel so alone, like this is only happening to us. But the truth is, there are so many families walking through this battle with cancer and what I'm coming to realize is that the children who have to carry this unfortunate cross are quite possibly the most amazing individuals our Lord created. Discussing cancer, scans, lab results, chemotherapy...it's their "normal" and yet they know more about LIVING than most of us.

5 comments:

Rachel and Mike Clifton said...

Your post gave me chills- you are such a truly amazing family. I can't imagine the fear that you must feel watching another family go through the same challenges that you are facing. I admire your strength and Cameron's strength. We continue to pray for you.
Love, The Cliftons

Anonymous said...

I cannot image what you are living with each day! Our 1st born went to be with God at just 1 week shy of 6 months of age but Thank God we did not have to watch her suffer any during that time. But God got us thru that and I know that He is carrying you thru this as well. Just know that our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and I do check for those updates often. Glad he was able to come see grandparents (at their house :))great-grandparents and his cousins too! I know that means a lot to all them and you too. Keep the faith and just "be still and know" that God is with you each step of the way.
Curtis & Nora Waters

Anonymous said...

Jackson family you are my heroes. Not a day goes by that I do not marvel in your strength.
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
- Christopher Reeve
Love to all especially to dear sweet Cameron.

Paige said...

Dear Jackson Family:
Not a day goes by that I don't think about you or pray for you. I've kept up with you on your blog ever since we had the blessing of meeting while our boys were in therapy at Ped. Ther. Assoc. Your faith and strength are an inspiration and testimony to the many who surround you with love and prayers. May God continue to bless you.
Love,
The Johnson Family (Paige & Cole)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jackson family, I am so happy to see your blog entry today. Your entire family is an inspiration to me. Cameron’s attitude about life teaches us all how we should live. Cameron is Champion and he WILL win this battle. I pray for your wonderful family every day.
God Bless You,
Dennis Nofsinger