Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Our Beach Getaway

This past weekend we were able to enjoy a wonderful trip to the beach to celebrate Cameron’s exit from radiation.  We told him we would do whatever he wanted to do and his wish was to play putt-putt.  So, where else can you find more putt-putt golf than in Myrtle Beach?  I think we ended up playing around 144 holes of putt-putt golf over the four days we were in Myrtle Beach.  He had a blast and actually did really well.  There were a few times when Cameron would beat the rest of us; a moment we all had to giggle about.  The weather was beautiful and we were also able to enjoy some time on the beach.  Cameron was a little hesitant to get in the waves at first but in no time, he was being his dare-devil self, walking out into the water and kicking as much water at Connor as possible.  The boys also enjoyed getting in the lazy river at the resort.  Cameron, again, was hesitant to enter but once he did, he didn’t want to get out.  He and Connor would race around the river, playing “NASCAR”, laughing all the way.  Words cannot express how I felt being able to sit beside the water and watch my two boys play again.  At times, I had to remind myself of all we have been through over the past few months. 

 

Yesterday, as Connor and Ernest were packing up the car, I was standing at the window, talking out loud about the beauty of the ocean and what a gift it was from the Lord to all of us.  As soon as I stopped talking, I hear Cameron, who had been in the other room, say “In Jesus name we pray…AMEN!”  Suddenly he appears in the room and asks me if I had been praying.  When I said no, he sat at the couch and began praying and thanking the Lord for the beach, the water, and the weekend.  He has such a sweet spirit. 

 

The ride home, however, was filled with many questions, from Cameron, about chemo.  I believe he thought we were coming home to start his treatment.  Please continue to pray for his anxiety while waiting for the next portion of his treatment plan and for Ernest and I to have the wisdom and words to handle the questions as they arise.  For now, we are just enjoying our time off from Duke and having a somewhat “normal” life again.  Another exciting weekend is planned as we will be attending the Ride for Kids event sponsored by the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation on Saturday.  Cam’s Neurosurgeon, Dr. Grant, will be there so it should be a fun filled event.  Stay tuned for pictures from that.  Until then, enjoy a few shots from this weekend.  Blessings always!

 

LeAnn

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

what incredible children you have! i'm so glad your life is based on the Lord's faith. it helps a lot, i know! :)

-Ms. Moore

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping up with "Action Jackson's" progress through church and just today read all of your updates. You all are so very strong and have an awesome outlook for the future - it's inspiring!!! Continue the fight as we all keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers. Would love to talk with you!!!
Much love, Leah (Dodd) Littlejohn