Cameron was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in Febuary of 2008. After his tumor resection surgery, he underwent six weeks of radiation therapy and four months of chemotherapy. After these treatments, we went back into our "normal" lives and Cameron progressed well getting back into school and the day-to-day of being a little boy.



However, a routine MRI on March 19, 2010 showed his cancer had returned. On November 9th, 2011, Cameron finally conquered his battle with cancer when he opened his eyes to the joys of heaven. Even in these dark days, we know God has richly blessed us by putting so many wonderful people in our path during this journey and we are so very thankful for them all.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Day To Remember!

Well, today started like any other; a trip to Duke for treatment number 26 out of 31. Only five more to go! However, today, dad and I knew that in just a matter of hours, the boys would get to experience something amazing. I have to tell a bit of the story to set the stage for the events of the day. Six weeks ago when Cameron returned to the hospital with his fever, he missed the simulation which was scheduled to line the fields up in order to start his radiation on time. Since we stayed through the weekend, the “on call” technician in radiation oncology was called in to take care of Cameron’s missed simulation. The on call tech was a guy named Scott and like many others at Duke, he fell in love with Cameron and during his first few weeks of radiation, Scott would often come to check on him. Surprisingly enough, a few weeks ago, I received a call from Scott saying that he and the tech he works with, Jennifer, had an idea to attempt a meeting with Tyler Hansbrough, the boys favorite Tar Heel. Well…today, that meeting took place.

As luck would have it, today was Spirit Day at Salem Elementary so Connor, naturally, woke up and dressed himself in Hansbrough gear. Neither Connor nor Cameron had any idea we were meeting Tyler until we pulled up at the Dean Dome and got out of the car. Waiting for us there were Scott and Jennifer, who were wonderful enough to rearrange their schedule to come and be a part of the memorable occasion. Words cannot express the look on little Cameron’s face when BIG Tyler walked into the room. Of course his first question, after the shock ran off, was “How tall are you?” Several times in the meeting, Cameron got a giggle out of Tyler as he called him “Psycho T” and even made mention that “Duke was number five but Carolina was number ONE.” All in all, it was a memorable day for both boys. Cameron enjoyed meeting someone he loved watching play basketball while Connor understood the awesomeness of meeting the National Player of the Year and probably one of the most famous Tar Heels since Michael Jordan. So, for a moment, the trouble of the past two months were forgotten because two people were placed in our paths who cared enough about our boys to do something amazing to see them smile. God is so good and I stand in awe of his Mighty hand in this journey. FIVE days and counting! Keep the prayers flowing; they are being answered.

Just in case you can't recognize the last guy in the photos...it's UNC's point guard Quentin Thomas. He was walking in as we were walking out and was nice enough to stop and let the boys have a quick photo with him.

LeAnn

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LeAnn, I am so excited that this worked out. I have had a hard time not telling Nick since you told me on Sunday. What a GREAT experience for the boys. I am sure it is a day they will truly remember. The boys look adorable.

Love you guys,
Maria

Kimberly said...

Mrs. Germano told me that you were trying to get this to happen and that is awesome that it came true! :) I know Cameron had a wonderful time! He would always pick on me about being a big Wolfpack fan, hehe. What a wonderful thing for them to have experienced! I wish nothing but the best for Cameron and his family! :)

Ms. Moore

Anonymous said...

LeAnn, what a great surprise. Please tell Cameron the highlight of my day at the Youth BBQ was getting a hug from him.

Best,
Willard

Anonymous said...

What a great day! You gave us Tar Heel fans yet another reason to love Tyler and Quentin and of course, more importantly, to praise the Lord for his provision. We continue to pray for all of you every day.

Love,
Annette E.

Anonymous said...

Just sayin' hi to the Jackson 4!
It is Scott from Duke, the pictures look great and I'm so happy you guys had such a great time. Thank you for the gift, it was unnecessary but extremely appreciated. The look on Cameron's face was gift enough. God bless and have a great day.
Scott
Go Heels!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I am impressed!!! I love Tyler Hansbrough and I was really pulling for North Carolina in the final 4. What a wonderful thing and so cool, too. Tell Cameron that Aunt Jan is really impressed and that he is a real doll baby!! Connor and Tyler are cute, too!! But, I must remind all of you that my beloved Tennessee Women won yet another National Championship. We need to see if ya'll want to meet Pat Summit too!! I am still praying and so happy to see those smiles. Love, Aunt Jan